After the excitement wears off of being assigned to that first sales territory, reality begins to set in. Questions start crossing your mind – “How am I going to deal with those competitors who have been out here forever?” “How am I going to appear credible to the customers?” “Am I going to be able to learn all this stuff?
Let’s not make too big a deal of the dark side – in the light of day it’s not that scary. And, fortunately people that go into sales tend to be smart, confident, and hard working. If you parlay those three characteristics a lot of problems can be put to bed.
With that said what are some tips that might make the new hire sales rep journey a little less rocky. Here are some best practices:
- Learn the customer’s business.
- Understand who is involved in making the decisions.
- Be passionate about your business – it wears off on the customer.
- Focus on your customer’s needs.
- Don’t talk too soon and too much about your products
- Don’t over-promise and do what you say you are going to do.
As top sales performers will share, there is a lot more to it that. However, these ideas can help you get out of the gate and going in the right direction.
If you found this post helpful, you might want to join the conversation and subscribe to the Sales Training Connection.
©2013 Sales Momentum®, LLC