Sales Tips are a new type of post you will be seeing on the Sales Training Connection. You can recognize a Sales Tip by the the icon on the left, and the title, of course.
A Sales Tip is a short post about one best practice when you are selling in a B2B market. For the inaugural post we’ve selected the age-old topic – Closing.
In B2B selling, Closing is about obtaining a commitment from the customer that moves the sales cycle. You don’t just “close for the order,” you close on every call. The following is a framework for planning and executing a Close:
1. Plan the commitment you want doing pre-call planning and set it as your call objective. As well, set a more aggressive commitment if the call goes particularly well and a less aggressive one if the call goes less well.
2. Assess and adjust the commitments as the call unfolds.
3. At the end of the call summarize the major points from the call and check for understanding.
4. Propose the commitment for moving the sales cycle forward.
5. Check and make sure all parties understand and agree to the commitment.
As a statement of the obvious there are not 101 ways to Close nor are there “proven” Closing Tricks – at least not that you would want to use. Closing is simply about obtaining a commitment that moves the sales cycle forward.
If you found this post helpful, you might want to join the conversation and subscribe to the Sales Training Connection.
©2012 Sales Horizons, LLC